January 17, 2011

Battle Plans

I think I enjoy the preparation stage of a project the most.  The selection and gathering of materials and tools - clearing the workspace - it has the feeling of ritual.  Anticipation.  All the possibilities of the project lay unborn in fabric and notions and sharp cutting edges. 
  • I have several hundred yards of twill tape coming to me.  
  • I have reordered size labels and custom garment labels.
  • I have inventoried my dyes and chemical supplies. 
  • I have found supply solutions for sticky design problems.
  • I have solved issues with jury-rigged mechanical contraptions.
  • I have searched and found local sources for a few supplies that are prohibitive to ship.
  • I have acquired superior tools. 
All the careful work that goes into laying a good foundation is almost equal to the work of the project itself.


Today the final cog will lock into place as I secure the flesh and bones of my project.  I am not entirely sure where I will put the two rolls of fabric when they arrive, but the last roll of fabric is dwindling and I like the feeling of ease that comes with abundance.  There's not much better than a smooth length of fabric draped on the cutting table, a stack of patterns and a fresh cutting instrument.

No comments:

Post a Comment